Last Updated on January 4, 2021 by GKQUESTIONBANK
COVID-19 vaccine ‘Covishield‘ Main Key Points | Important For UPSC
India’s drugs regulator ‘Drugs Controller General of India’ has approved Oxford COVID-19 vaccine Covishield which is being manufactured by the Serum Institute of India. As the total coronavirus cases has been passed the 10 Million counts in the country the Government of India is taking necessary steps for making available the more secure and more reliable Corona Vaccine to the citizens. In the world there are 85 million cases has been recorded (till 4, January 2020) every country is struggling for the Corona Vaccine. In India there is two major vaccine named ‘Covishield’ and ‘Covaxin’ which may soon provides to the people of India. Currently Indian Government Announced Emergency Use authorization For COVID-19 vaccine ‘Covishield’.
Here is the key points on ‘Covishield’ topic |
Very Important For UPSC Students
- ‘Covishield’ is a Covid-19 Vaccine has been developed by the Oxford University scientists in collaboration with the pharmaceutical company AstraZeneca.
- Trial of ‘Covishield’ in India was undertaken by the Serum Institute of India (SII).
- Serum Institute of India is a manufacturer of immunobiological drugs including vaccines and this company is based in the Pune, Maharashtra.
- World Health Organization also welcomes the first emergency use authorization given to COVID-19 vaccine in the WHO South-East Asia Region by India.
- Currently the CEO of Serum Institute of India is ‘Adar Poonawalla’ since 2011.
- ‘Serum Institute of India’ was established by Cyrus S. Poonawalla in 1966.
- According to the CEO of ‘Serum Institute of India’ they are to selling the first 100 million doses of its coronavirus vaccines to the Union government at rupees 200/dose.
- To manufacture the ‘Covishield’ coronavirus vaccine, ‘Serum Institute of India’ collaboration with the University of Oxford and AstraZeneca.
- ‘Covishield’ coronavirus vaccine will be sold on the private market at rupees 1,000 per dose by the ‘Serum Institute of India’.